Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rest

I don't believe that life is supposed to be about ceaseless activity, about getting things done, about getting to a goal as fast as possible.  I believe that life is supposed to be about enjoying everything, about a balance between rest and activity.  There's a natural flow to life that we really don't have the power to change.  If we resist we just make ourselves crazy and exhausted.  Martha Beck, a well-known life coach and author, recommends resting when we're the most stressed.  Of course, that's going to be easier said than done so she has a list of things to do:

- Sit down.
- Mentally scan your body and mind for the places where you have the most stress.
- Put your whole attention on those places, one-by-one.
- While your attention is on them, think the word, "relax."  Notice what happens.
- After a minute or two, think the word, "rest."  Offer it to your tired feet, your hurting back, your  
  broken  heart. Say to yourself, "I am resting now for my feet, my back, my heart."


This exercise should be done off and on throughout the day.  Without frequent rest, we are not even going to notice the life of our dreams!

No comments: