Saturday, May 28, 2011

Homecoming

How do you feel when you walk in the door of your home?  Do you sigh with relief and comfort?  That's the way it should be.  Where else are you going to go for comfort and refuge?  If you don't feel that way, maybe making that so could be the first of the goals you set for creating the life of your dreams. 

The next question is, "What would it take for you to sigh with relief and comfort when you come in your door?"  For me the answer often was - someone to clean my house and get rid of all the clutter.  I finally surrendered and got help with keeping my house clean and with getting rid of clutter.  Most of the time I'm satisfied with the degree of cleanliness and order in my home now.  It probably wouldn't pass inspection by someone who has higher standards than I do for cleanliness and order, but I set my own standards with the goal of comfort and refuge and higher standards would not help me reach those goals.  I don't want to come in the door and start criticizing my home and feel the stress of demanding myself to clean and de-clutter. 

What are some other things that might make your home a comforting refuge?  Comfortable places to sit, good lighting, a bedroom with soothing colors, a kitchen with a clear and convenient workspace, scented candles, fresh flower, beautiful music?  It's worth the time to walk through your house and think about how you could make each room more welcoming and comfortable.   I'm NOT talking about redecorating and all the money, time and effort that would cost.  I'm talking about creating order, putting furniture in places where it will provide more comfort, adding plants, lighting candles, turning on music.  Why not set aside a little time and have fun with it?

No comments: