Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Clutter

In all the research I've read about creating the life of your dreams, I haven't seen a thing about tidiness.  However, getting rid of clutter seems to crop up everywhere - on television, books, magazines, etc.  It makes me wonder if tidiness should have been part of the research on happiness.  Of course, I don't mean the compulsive, harsh, obessive effort to have everything perfect at all times.  It's been my observation that that way of being doesn't promote happiness.  Instead it seems to promote stress, frantic activity, and anger at anybody who interferes with the program. 

What I mean by tidiness is that there's some place to put things away so that things that don't have a home don't pile up and disturb me everytime I see them.  Usually when the "piles" appear in my life, it means I have a lot of trouble finding things I want.  So then there are two sources of disturbance.  Also there's the feeling I have when I'm at home that I can't relax since I know I really need to clean up the "piles."  Over the years I've learned to include these tasks on my to-do list so that I create a home for those things that are just sitting around.  Periodically, I donate things I no longer need to good causes.

I still have little piles of books and magazines here and there, but those are things that give me pleasure when I look at them.

No comments: