Monday, April 25, 2011

How Do You Talk to Yourself?

One of the skills I've learned that has benefitted me incredibly is learning to pay attention to how I talk to myself.  Basically that just means that I notice my thoughts.  When I'm not moving forward toward goals the way I think I should, it's deeply ingrained in me to think things like:  "You'll never make it."  "You always do this - quit before you're finished."  Some part of me thinks that kicking myself will make me a better person.  So far it has never, ever worked.  When I learned to pay attention to how I talk to myself, I also learned to quickly change my thoughts.  I used to believe that my thoughts were just how they were - that there was nothing to do about them.  It turns out that no matter what crappy negative thinking I have, I can always choose my second thought to something positive like:  "No, that's not true.  I have succeeded at a lot of things and I can succeed at this too." 

Our automatic thinking is usually uniformly negative and does not deserve to be listened to.  Let us learn to think better thoughts!

No comments: