Thursday, July 23, 2009

Making a Map

"Don't just generalize about what you wish to achieve. Don't just have a vague idea about where you would like to go. Make your goals vivid, clear and precise.

Whether you are traveling around the block or across the ocean, your destination is always a single, specific point. The only way you can reach that point is by clearly and unambiguously defining where it is.

The same is true for every destination you seek to reach, whether it is a place, a person, an object or a set of conditions. When the goal is clear and specific, filled in your mind with all the color, the texture, the sounds and the feelings, you'll surely be able to work your way there. For each detail you envision provides you with an additional pathway to your goal."

- Ralph Marston


So, let's say you think your goal is: I want to lose weight. Okay, but how much weight? Is one pound enough? Probably not. Do you mind if it takes until you're 80? Probably you do. Why do you want to lose weight? For me it's always because I want to look prettier. I know, I know, I'm supposed to want to do it to be healthier. I do want to be healthier. If I'm going to live a long time, I don't want to live in a nursing home in a wheelchair because I'm so overweight I can't walk. But really and truly I just want to look prettier. That's what I really want. So, maybe I mean that I also want to develop some muscles too. Maybe in my heart my real goal is that I want to look good naked. I'm not sure why. Maybe just that walking by the mirror after my shower when I'm not in shape is not a exactly a superb experience. It's important to know why as well as what. In the next post, I'll give some examples of how.

No comments: