Sunday, July 12, 2009

Stick with the Winners

When I was first in recovery, they told me to "stick with the winners." They meant hang out with the people who had more recovery than I did and that were truly "walking the walk" rather than just "talking the talk." It took me a little while to figure out who these people were. At first I thought they were the people who had been around the longest. But then I discovered people who were new but had been around a little longer than I had were also "winners." I got some fabulous insight from some of those folks that truly saved my sanity. Since then I've discovered that sticking with the winners works for pretty much everything. If I want to be successful at something, finding people who are successful at the same type of thing is key. I don't need to blindly follow their advice; everyone is different. But they are going to share their experience and that's a thousand times more useful than what I can think up, read or get from people who don't have successful experiences.