Saturday, August 8, 2009

Goal Setting


After you've decided what you want in each area of your life, it's a good idea to pick only three or so to focus on. More than that can be overwhelming. It can be any three, just so you're sure they are things you REALLY want. The question to ask yourself is, "why don't I have these already?" By asking that question you'll discover what the barriers are to reaching these goals. Then for every barrier you think of, think of some actions you can take to overcome the barriers and put a date by which time you will have taken the action. A BIG KEY then is to look at these every day when you make your to-do list. (You do make a to-do list, right?)

Example:

Focus Goal: I want to weigh 145 lbs by October 30.
1. Barrier - I hate diets. I feel hungry all the time.
- Action step (by August 31) Research and try food plans that address hunger problems.
2. Barrier - I eat whatever is available when I'm hungry - often eating high calories snacks.
- Action step (by August 31) Set aside time once a week to buy healthy, low-calorie snacks and package them for the week.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sooo...you must be doing it too! Loving it. It's helping and I am feeling a little more able to do what I want to do.
baby steps ...