Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Setting Goals

Setting goals is a process pretty much like anything else in life. There are several areas to look at because setting goals in isolation from each other is not only not helpful but can actually cause trouble. What if you decide you want to go back to school and get an advanced degree but have not looked at how that will fit with your relationships, health, career, and finances. Hmmm. Not good. So, each area of your life needs your attention and careful thought about what you really want. Besides those areas already mentioned, you may want to think about your spirituality, quality of life, self-esteem, and others that are particularly important to you. Don't overwhelm yourself. I used to make so many goals I had to have a three ring binder to put them all in. Needless to say I didn't accomplish any of them - I don't even remember what they were. So, keeping it simple is key. In a later post I'll give some generic examples.

No comments: