Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Totally Different Way to Learn Something New and Shake Yourself Up!

Have you ever found out that an acquaintance is on the other side of politics than you are or has a completely different opinion about something you consider important?  One of the deeply ingrained habits us humans have is to distance ourselves from people we disagree with.  We like to hang out with people who believe the same things we do and if we're stuck with somebody we disagree with, we usually argue with them. 

Personally, I've found that engaging in a dialogue with that person and asking respectful questions is a terrific way to learn something new.  So far, I've not changed my opinion but at least I've increased my understanding.  These dialogues have also kept me from making enemies of people I associate with.  I believe that making the effort to understand someone whose ideas are opposite to mine really increases my own creativity in navigating the world.

No comments: