Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fear or Regret?

A very big part of the life of my dreams, as it is for a lot of people, is making use of my creativity.  What gets in my way is fear - fear that what I create will not be received with appreciation from other people.  I'm guessing that I'm not alone - that lots of people have this fear.  The thing is, it's impossible to create anything while being afraid of fear!  So, the answer is - for me at least - to fear regret more. 

A few years ago I went to hear a presentation by Anne Lamott who wrote "Traveling Mercies" which is one of my favorite books.  I would have brought tissues if I had known I was going to cry.  As it was, my husband had to go to the restroom and get paper towels because I was crying so much.  As part of her presentation, she talked about all the "writers" she had met that desperately wanted to write but were stopped by fear.  She said that they were holding back something that wanted to be born and that at the end of their lives they would deeply regret not having given birth to their creations. 

So, which would you rather fear?  Fear?  or Regret?  I fear regret more.

No comments: