Thursday, June 25, 2009

Problem Solving 101

The first thing to know about problem solving is that it is NOT about finding out whose fault it is. From observing people at work over the years and in various other situations, it seems that the first thing people think of when faced with a problem is looking for who caused the problem.

Recently I've noticed it with the people I work with in trying to solve problems my son with disabilities has at his workplace. It really saddens me that when I ask questions to try to discover what's going on, they get really defensive as though they think I'm trying to blame them for not doing things right. Truly, all I want to know is specifics about what he's doing that's a problem. This mindset - if there's a problem, the way to solve it is to blame somebody - is rampant at all levels - from government to the workplace to the kitchen table. Where in the world did this come from? I have no idea.

It's very frustrating for an expert problem solver like me - and I am really, really good at it - because it takes so long to calm everybody down and refocused on the problem and possible solutions. But I've come to accept that this is exactly what will happen when people are faced with a problem. Usually it leads to no solution at all and the problem reoccurs over and over. If I can get everybody to refocus on what we want to have happen instead of what is happening, I find that excellent potential solutions come incredibly quickly!

No comments: