Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Joy of Failure

I've spent a lot of my life being afraid to try things because I knew I would fail at first. Of course, there's no possible way to learn anything new without having a ton of failures before success comes along. I still can't say that I get excited and happy about failure, but at least I don't freak out when I make mistakes.

I read once that Winston Churchill used to spend part of his vacation every year as a bricklayer. He actually apprenticed and became a professional bricklayer. By doing work with his hands for awhile, he was able to put aside the mental work he had to do the rest of the year. But, as I remember it, he said the more important reason was that he wasn't very good at being a bricklayer, and so he was able to keep his ego from growing too big from being a world leader.

I'm not a world leader but I am prone to thinking I'm awfully smart, which can lead to over confidence, which is a very not useful way to fail. So, trying new things and getting used to failure can be a spiritual exercise in humility while learning new skills leading to success.

No comments: