Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I can't because.... #3


I love this one. "I don't know how." I used to think that when I did anything new I was supposed to already know how. Therefore, unless I already knew how, I wasn't going to try it. I've heard that state of mind described as, "S.H.A.M.E. - Should Have Already Mastered Everything." Of course, this wasn't a conscious thought. It was mostly a feeling. However, it certainly has kept me from trying to do a lot of things. The only reason I don't believe it now is that on jobs I HAD to learn to do new things and fight the feeling that I was a loser because I didn't already know. Fear drove me forward. Now that I know better, I can just prepare to be uncomfortable for awhile and consider it a lesson in humility. I don't know everything. What a concept. There's no chance we're going to have the life of our dreams unless we get past the "I don't know how."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh. Thanks for summing up my current working life so suscintly.

Once a counselor asked me, "Where did you get the idea that it's not all right to fail?" It was definitely an ah ha moment. Human beings = occasional failure. No failure = never trying anything new or risky.

Had lots of fun with you & your family in Dallas. Success:-)!