Saturday, March 14, 2009

Values and Life


Some people say that our values are formed by the time we're seven years old or thereabouts. I think there's some truth to that but I know for a fact that some of them change because I've changed some of mine. Plus what I value changes in terms of my life circumstances. When I was raising children my values all centered around children. I'm quite a bit more self-centered now. I'm very focused on my health with the hope and/or expectation that that focus will lead to healing from the injuries I sustained in the wreck 3 1/2 years ago.

Some examples of common values: success, independence, elegance, peace, romance, integrity, security, spirituality, fun, justice, nature, beauty. If you're interested in a longer list, put "values" into your search engine. Spend a little time thinking about which of the values in the lists really move your heart at this time in your life. Spend a little more time thinking about which ones you think will move your heart throughout the rest of your life. While you're at it, ask yourself whether you know which values are the most important to the people you are close to. These exercises will go a long way toward picturing the life of your dreams.

No comments: