Monday, September 26, 2011

Busy Work

Defeating the voice in our heads that tries to sidetrack us from the activities that bring us to the life of our dreams can seem like a full time job (and it is, in a way).  One of the favorite ways I get sidetracked is with busy work.  I used to think of things like dusting plant leaves as a way to not start work on something vitally important.  Those plant leaves looked terribly dusty and anything that's dusty must be dusted, right?  Actually, no.  Since we are all supposed to be busy, busy, busy in this day and age, the only way we can legitimately loaf is to elevate busy work to an art form.  Then we can say, "Well, I just didn't have time (to do whatever the vitally important thing is), and we can prove it since we were incredibly busy all day. 

My favorite way of defeating busy work is to make a "to-do" list and put down all the plant leaf dusting.  When I can't think of even one more thing to write down, I just cross off everything but the vitally important stuff.

No comments: