Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More Simplicity

Of course, simplifying your life is a very individual thing.  It requires time, thought and introspection to decide what will benefit each one of us the most.  Some women would be horrified to learn that I quit having my nails manicured because this is one of their treats.  For me it became annoying though.  It meant I had to get in the car and go someplace.  I had to protect my nails for awhile to make sure I didn't mess up the polish, etc.  So now I just cut them and file them once a week.  When I take a bath I push the cuticles back.  That's it.  Saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Also, lots of folks would be surprised to learn that I kept all my house plants.  Some people get rid of them because they require care and thought.  Ditto outside plants (which I don't do very well caring for).  I, however, love plants.  They take the carbon monoxide I breathe out and give me back oxygen.  Plus they're lovely to look at.  None of my plants require much in the way of care except watering once a week and occasionally fertilizing.  Some of them need repotting, but they are waiting patiently for me to get around to it.  Then there's my beloved companion cat.  He requires some care but he showers me with love making it more than worth it for the tiny bit of feeding, brushing, cat box cleaning, etc. that he requires.

There are lots of things to consider that each one of us may or may not want to do.  Streamlining Christmas, for example.  I don't do Christmas cards anymore.  I would rather stay in touch some other way.  The whole Christmas card thing is weird anyway.  I have a couple of distant cousins that have me and my deceased husband on their Christmas card list.  Despite my having notified them more than once that he's dead, they keep sending them to both of us.  Plus they don't respond when they get my note that he's dead.  Their cards contain long letters outlining the accomplishments of theirs, their kids, and their grandkids.  To me that's very strange.

Another example:  if you belong to an organization whose meetings you dread, resign!  I don't go to business meetings any more.  They drive me crazy.  I know they're necessary, but I need to protect myself from stuff that drives me crazy.  But if you love them, go and enjoy!

No comments: