Friday, December 10, 2010

Intention

More from "Speak Peace in a World of Conflict"

We can learn a lot of techniques for "speaking peace," but none of them really matter unless our intention is to be loving, compassionate, to find ways to help ourselves and others meet our needs without hurting anyone and to make our lives more wonderful.  That sounds so lofty and hopelessly high flown that it must be an intention for saints, right?  No, I don't think so.  I think its a great intention for a happy life.  The thing is the world is so full of hate and conflict that it is hard not to be drawn into it at any given moment during the day.  For me I find it necessary to set up reminders throughout the day to keep my intention in mind.  Sometimes it's a peace of jewelry, sometimes I set the alarm on my phone, sometimes it's a prayer I carry with me and look at when I think of it through out the day.  Even so I often forget, but I remember more than I used to.  I know a Vietnamese man who wears the clothes common in his country when he's working at his restaurant.  He says wearing them remind him of how he wants to treat people.  So...what other ideas can we come up with to remember to live our intention?

No comments: