Sunday, November 22, 2009

Stories

Are you wondering why you haven't created the life of your dreams for yourself yet? Probably part of the reason is the story you're telling yourself about it. Try this: Take a couple of hours and just write out the story you're telling yourself. It might go something like this: I've had a lot to do, I haven't had time, the people in my life don't want me to, I have other priorities, I don't have the money, and on and on. Just notice without blaming yourself that these are excuses not reasons.
If you were really excited about creating the life of your dreams and committed to taking the action to make it happen, none of these things would be in your way. Now that you have your "excuses story," write a new story about how you will let go of your excuses and make it happen. You will be surprised at how much your creativity will come to the surface.
Another way that might help: You could write the story as though it were someone else. What qualities does this person have that you don't? Maybe you could begin by developing those qualities. Why not? What else have you got to do, really?

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I love this exercise...I know today that the story I tell myself closley resembles to how my life looks. I figure if I'm making up a story, I might as well make up one that works for me and not against me!!