Sunday, November 15, 2009

Behavior Change


Most of the thinking I've done in my life has been about how to change my behavior. I am rebellious. I don't want to change. On the other hand, I don't like my behavior and I want to change. I'm not talking about robbing banks, killing people, and stuff like that. I'm talking about what time to get up in the morning. What to eat or not eat. Whether to exercise or not. Getting organized. Paying the bills on time. You know - day-to-day stuff that I can get away with not changing, except that over time there's a price to pay.
Sometimes I think it would have been a good idea for me to have joined the military. I've noticed that people I know who were in the military retained their disciplined habits into civilian life. But at 68 I'm probably not a candidate. So I continue to work toward being a disciplined person so that I can escape the price of not being disciplined.

Here's what doesn't work:

1. Berating myself mentally.

2. Giving up in despair.

3. Reading self-help books (just reading them, not implementing ideas).

4. Comparing myself to other people.

5. Watching mindless t.v.

6. Doing unimportant tasks instead of the most important ones.

7. Letting other people criticize me.

8. Starting tomorrow or next week or whenever I get something else more important (ha) done.

9. Playing computer games.

10. Subjecting myself to strict discipline and nothing I want to do until I finish what I don't want

to do.


Here are some things that help:

1. Eating right, getting enough sleep and exercising.

2. Getting a partner who's working on similar things.

3. Taking a day off to do whatever I want.

4. Encouraging myself mentally.

5. Talking to people who will encourage me.

6. Learning AND implementing new ideas

7. Experimenting with new ways of doing things.

8. Making change a game.

9. Preparing for new behavior by setting myself up for success (get rid of the junk food for
example.)

10. Making a new commitment every day.
11. Last but not least - prayer and meditation.

No comments: