Monday, November 2, 2009

Making Peace with Money

"What does it mean to make peace with money? It means to create a relationship with money that is simple, comfotable, and free of stress, worry or pain; to create a relationship with money that is satisfying, even joyful." Jerrold Mundis. Making Peace with Money.

If you agree that making peace with money is going to be necessary for you to have the life of your dreams, then identifying your beliefs about money is going to be one of your first steps. In the last post, I detailed some information about the basics of money management. When I first learned these basics, I immediately tried to forget them because I was sure it was hopeless to actually accomplish them. I thought you had to have a whole bunch of money in the first place. I had a lot of other limiting beliefs that had been keeping me from taking the steps I needed to take in order to build a comfortable, satisfying financial life.


Try this exercise: Write this sentence and complete it: Money is___________. Keep writing it and completing it until you run out of things to write. Then take a look and see if any of those beliefs are actually true. For example, I believed that there were some people who had the ability to handle money, but that I wasn't one of them. I thought it took some kind of special talent. Turns out - it's not true. Handling money is easy. It's our beliefs that keep us from doing well.

No comments: