Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Comfort or Progress?


When I used to think about the life of my dreams, I would think about all the things wrong with my life. Of course, then I would feel terrible - discouraged, down on myself, angry about how life was treating me, etc. I definitely did not feel like taking any action. So, I looked for ways to distract myself from my crummy feelings - television, reading, eating, talking on the phone, etc. etc. etc. Sure enough I would forget about the whole thing, go to sleep and start the process over again the next day . Certainly no progress was made.


What I finally learned was that the way to the life of my dreams - is and always will be - to focus on what I wanted instead of what I didn't want. This is a whole lot harder, by the way, than focusing on the negative. It may just be the way my brain works. It's always easier for me to complain than to decide what I want. However, putting in the time, energy and work to decide what I want in each area of my life has paid off in amazing and incredible ways. Sometimes I am just shocked at how ignorant I am about what is in my heart. Once I see and understand what I truly want, I am excited and ready to take the action necessary to get what I want.

No comments: