Friday, January 25, 2013

The Secret to Making Positive Changes for Your Life

The biggest secret, in my experience, to making positive changes is to NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER give up.  Change is hard - very, very hard.  I've talked to probably hundreds of people who were trying to make changes and struggling.  Plus I may be the queen of taking a very long time to finally get a positive change integrated into my life.  A lot of people just give up and never try again.  "It's too hard," they say to themselves.  "I'm a failure," they say to themselves.  I did that for a long time. 

I had a friend that was trying to make a change in her behavior.  I asked her how she was doing and she replied, "Oh, I tried it for a day.  It was too hard so I stopped."  Oh sweet spirits of transformation!  She was a perfect reflection of me.  I thought to myself although I didn't say it to her, "She's totally uncommitted.  She wants change to be easy."  Then I realized I was just the same way.

Finally I got so disgusted I started researching solutions.  I've probably read dozens of books on the topics of self-discipline, organization, time management, spiritual help for sloth, how to get past procrastination, and on and on.  Each of them was a help for a day or two or three or maybe even four.  Then I would totally forget about the whole thing and go back to my usual way of living which was none too good for me.  Weeks or months later I might remember and try again.  This stuff went on for years.  It was very discouraging. 

Finally I saw that the main problem was that I was giving up over and over again, and that my bad memory about what I was trying to change was just my way of quitting.  So I started doing everything I could to remind myself of what I was doing.  Little bit by little bit, I began to change. 

For example, just simple things like taking my medicine and nutritional supplements every day were huge problems.  I was dependent for my well being on remembering to take them, but I forgot several days a week.  I made new resolves but forgot again.  I got uncomfortable and read some more books, wrote in my journal about it.  Eventually as I kept trying, I succeeded. 

It's probably been two or three years that I've been consistent about taking meds and supplements.  So I know for a fact that when I keep trying to find ways that work for me to change a habit, eventually I find something that works.  Therefore, I deeply believe that everybody can do it if they NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER give up.

No comments: