Friday, May 18, 2012

The "Not-To-Do" and the "Done" Lists

A whole lot of people make to-do lists.  Personally I hate them even though I make them.  I have a very hyperactive brain and I can think of way more stuff to do than I could possibly do.  My ego thinks I should do everything immediately which used to lead to my feeling frantic, fearful, and feverish.  Then I learned about the not-to-do and the done lists. 

The not-to-do list consists of the stuff I know perfectly well I will not be able to get to today and that don't matter anyway.  Sometimes the stuff on this list is carried over for years.  Sometimes I eventually completely forget about those items.  Every once in awhile after ten years or so, it will be time to take care of them and they make it to the real to-do list and get checked off.  This is extremely rare. 

The done list is the one I make at the end of each day so that I don't go to bed thinking that I got nothing accomplished (which is what my ego tells me, attempting to motivate me to do more the next day).  The done list is part of my daily journaling and helps me keep track of how I'm doing with my priorities. 

My mother used to say all the time that what she wanted was a day with more than 24 hours.  I know now that if I had a day with more than 24 hours, I would just have a longer to-do list.  So I rely on the not-to-do and done lists to keep me sane.

No comments: