Thursday, November 10, 2011

Grocery Shopping

I'm not fond of grocery shopping.  Since I live alone, I can postpone for quite awhile by doing the drive thru thing.  But, of course, that's quite unhealthy and I feel bad about it.  When I had a MUCH busier life, it was even more of a problem.  Then as I was working on simplifying my life, I ran across a book that had a method I still use.  I made a list of the items I regularly buy, and then I put them in the order that they are laid out in my grocery store.  I did this task on the computer so that the list was stored in the data base. 

Each week I decided on menus, checked to see what ingredients I would need, went to the master list and highlighted the things I needed and anything else that I needed - such as paper products - printed out that list and headed for the store.  Since it was in order of the layout of the store, it took very little time to pick everything up - no back tracking.  Also, I had already done a lot of the work only once.  That simplification probably saved me an hour - maybe more - at the store.  Since the list was thorough, I rarely had to go back to the store during the week.  This method still works for me.

No comments: