Sunday, January 3, 2010

Begin with the End in Mind

Similar to the "working backward" concept, is Stephen Covey's habit of beginning with the end in mind. He suggests that we imagine ourselves at our own funeral and think about what we would want people to say about us. I tried that exercise with a group once and a couple of people had had recent losses of people close to them. It was an emotional time for the group, but it brought us back to the reality of all our lives - we don't know how long we have left on the earth, so what do we want to have done with our lives.

I seriously doubt that we will wish we had spent more time at work, or bought more cars and clothes, or collected more jewelry. I'm going to guess that we would want to have loved more people and loved them more deeply. I'm guessing we would want to have developed and used our unique talents and shared them with the world in some way. I'm also guessing that we would want to have contributed to making the world a better place so that our lives would matter.

I know, I know. This is awfully lofty stuff. But isn't it better to think about it now rather than on our death beds?

No comments: