Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Working Backward





Well, here we are with the beginning of 2010 almost here. I don't know about you, but I am determined that this will be the best year of my life! I've been saying this every year for quite awhile, and so far, it has been true. Maybe it wouldn't look that way from the outside, but it's always been true for me on the inside. I've had a huge number of challenges in my life in the last few years that were daunting to say the least. However, I've had an amazing amount of help and I've learned critically important things I would never have learned otherwise. I've learned that no matter how difficult the journey looks, it is still possible to set goals, reach them, enjoy life, love people, receive love, and contribute to others.

A few years ago, I heard the famous Arkansas Coach Broyles talk about the journey he and his daughter and daughter-in-law took in caring for his wife who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Of course, like most families, the diagnosis was devastating and for awhile they were all in grief. Ultimately, though, like any good coach, Coach Broyles set a goal for himself and his family: they decided to learn all they could about the disease and caregiving so that they could become the best caregivers possible.

I was struck by their focused effort on learning and doing their best in the face of a huge life-changing challenge. They really enjoyed their journey and their achievements - which were measured by the fact that Mrs. Broyles' journey with the disease was, for the most part, happy and contented, rather than the fear, distress and acting out that many people with Alzheimer's experience. I've heard similar stories from other caregivers that impacted me too.

Of course, in these past few years, I've been the one cared for in many ways. I knew to appreciate and be deeply grateful for the help I've received. I've also discovered that the best way I know to give back is to learn and grow with my experiences so that I can share what I learn. So, I'm going to take all that I've learned and use it to make 2010 the best year of my life - this time I intend to have it show on the outside too!

Some of the things I've learned that will be used: It's not possible to do anything without the knowledge to do it. I've learned a lot of new things like how to use a wheelchair, walkers, crutches and a cane. I've learn to re-train my brain to do the things it used to do but forgot with injury. Plus it's not possible to do anything without support from other people. Truly - you can't do it alone. The discovery I'm going to be using first is that it's impossible to get where you're going without knowing where that is. So, first of all, I will be deciding where I want to be in a year. By working backward from that point, I will know what steps I will take to get there.

No comments: