Saturday, August 30, 2014

Clearing Space

I read once upon a time that Katherine Hepburn had only black, grey, tan and navy slacks and turtlenecks in those same colors.  She said she didn't believe that spending time trying to decide what to wear was a good use of her precious time on the earth.  I was very struck by this since clothing myself seemed so mysterious to me and I felt like such a failure at it.  I thought maybe if I simplified the whole thing, I could set the torture aside.  Over time I've simplified dressing myself a lot and discovered that a certain amount of time thinking about what to wear is actually fun and creative, so I haven't gone all the way to just neutrals.

The concept of simplifying everything and/or making it creative and fun has turned out to be a life principle for me.  Having a lot less "stuff" in general is actually a lovely way of living.  It amazes me how much space clutter takes up in my mind as well as my environment.  I'm a long way from achieving a complete lack of unnecessary stuff, but I am growing in that area all the time.

The same concepts apply to how I spend my time.  Eliminating unnecessary stuff keeps me from using precious energy on things that actually don't matter.  Clearing out activity that has no actual benefit except to follow social convention is a huge step forward. 

Extra space in my mind, in my environment, and in time makes room for creation, peace and love.  I highly recommend it as a way to empower ourselves.

No comments: