Saturday, October 20, 2012

What's the Point?

Somewhere in midlife many of us ask ourselves why we're doing everything we're doing.  The point of it all seems to elude us.  Sometimes we're raising children and we see that as the point.  Maybe we're trying to get ahead financially and we see that as the point.  We usually have a long list of "points" as to why we're doing what we're doing.  But we might be unsure as to what the REAL point is.

But what if the point is what Samuel Johnson said, "To be happy at home is the result of all ambition."  That might change our whole outlook.  In thinking about this I had to ask myself - where am I going to be happy if not at home?  If I'm not happy at home, why not?  What do I need to do to be happy at home?  When am I going to get started on making myself (and anyone else who lives here) happy at home?

The answers will vary from person to person.  Some examples might be:  beautiful surroundings, peace and quiet, simplicity, fun things to do, music, children playing, creative activities.  Everyone will have to answer for him/herself.  But isn't it one of the most important questions you could ever answer?

No comments: