Friday, July 22, 2011

Changes

Would that life were like the shadow cast by a wall or a tree, but it is like the shadow cast by a bird in flight.  The Talmud.

Change is a constant even in the life of our dreams, so learning to change easily can make the life of our dreams flow.  Change is easier if I don't have a bunch of rules about how things are supposed to be and a lot of extra "stuff" hanging out in my house and on my to-do list.  Clearing clutter with my rules, "todos," and closets makes room for the effort needed for change.

I think us humans are hardwired to focus on short rather than long term gain which makes change difficult even when it's a positive change.  So to make change easier, I remind myself of the results I want.  Recently I changed how and what I eat in order to be healthier.  It has required time and energy to think through what and how I wanted to make the change as well as time and energy to actually make the change.  Constantly reminding myself of the benefits I would receive in the long run made the expenditure of time and energy easier.

No comments: